Unit Service Plan
- Unit Service Plan PowerPoint presentation. Provides a fundamental understanding of the concepts for Commissioner Tools. The Unit Service Plan was developed to help improve unit performance based on unit needs discovered during a Detailed Assessment. Commissioner Tools incorporates both the Detailed Assessment and the Unit Service Plan.
- Why Do a Unit Service Plan?
Commissioner Tools is available via the my.Scouting portal. Commissioner Tools helps commissioners perform by providing access to information critical to supporting units. Here are a few examples of Commissioner Tools capabilities:
- Assign commissioners to units.
- Record contacts. A commissioner is most effective through frequent contact with units to build a friendly and trusting relationship.
- Roundtable administrations. Plan, record attendance, and monitor effectiveness.
- Conduct assessments to help a unit improve. In concert with the Unit Service Plan and Journey to Excellence (JTE), the tool provides the ability to record the results and build action plans that may access and incorporate district, council, and other resources beyond the unit.
- Monitor a unit’s progress. Access unit information.
The Commissioner Tools Focus Group will continue to add enhancements based upon commissioner feedback.
Commissioner Tools Training
Commissioner Tools has undergone a major revision and the web version went live on April 8, 2019.
The training for updated Commissioner Tools is being implemented in two phases:
Phase 1 – Static Training (available via links below)
Phase 2 – All Training will be updated to reflect the features of the new update. This includes:
- Online courses in the Learn Center
- Instructor-Led material found on the commissioner training pages for Basic Training and the College of Commissioner Science
Video Training Modules
The video training modules will be revised in the near future. Please use the static training links below.
Phase 1 Training
The Phase 1 training has been prepared from the perspective of Unit Commissioners, Administrative Commissioners, and Roundtable Commissioners and has the following topics:9
|Topic||Unit Commissioners||Administrative Commissioners||Roundtable Commissioners|
|Unit Contact Summary page|
|Collaborative Unit Health Assessments|
|Unit Service Plan|
|Roundtable Total Attendance|
Please use the links below to access the document that applies to you:
Commissioner Assessment Forms. These blank detailed assessment forms taken from Commissioner Tools may be used as paper information-capture sheets if a commissioner does not want to work on the computer live while contacting a unit. Alternatively, they may be used by a commissioner who does not have access to a computer, and a “commissioner friend” will enter the information. They may also be used when collaborating with a unit to complete the assessment of a unit’s strengths and needs.
Unit Assessment Forms. These blank assessment forms taken from Commissioner Tools may be given to a unit leader to complete prior to the Collaborative Assessment being completed by the unit Key 3 and the unit commissioner. Ideally, the unit should complete these within my.scouting.org when they are sent to them by the commissioner; however, they may be used as a worksheet prior to entry in my.scouting.org. They may also be used when collaborating with a unit to complete the assessment of a unit’s strengths and needs.
Monthly Commissioner Tools Reports
Reports, generated monthly, summarize the contact activity from Commissioner Tools by district within councils. At the end of the report, area and region results are summarized.
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
Scenarios for Unit Assessments. These scenarios can be used for training commissioners in how to do a unit assessment.
Updates to Technology of Interest to Commissioners
Periodic communication documents with updates to BSA technology of interest to Commissioners.
- October 15, 2018
- July 16, 2018
- April 4, 2018
- January 27, 2017
- March 1, 2017
- May 19, 2017
- July 28, 2017
- September 22, 2017
- December 14, 2017
Advanced Commissioner Tools Report Analysis Using Power Pivot Tables
In just a few seconds, Power Pivot tables can take your raw Commissioner Tools report data and create advanced reports. The Power Pivot table files were volunteer-developed and are NOT supported by the BSA’s Information Delivery Group. Presently, these tools work only on a Windows-based computer with Excel 2013 and newer; they do not work with Excel 2010 and earlier. We hope to expand the supported user base in the future. For assistance with these Power Pivot tables, please contact email@example.com and a volunteer will respond to you.