Commissioner Tools is available via the my.Scouting portal. Commissioner Tools helps commissioners perform by providing access to information critical to supporting units. Here are a few examples of Commissioner Tools capabilities:
- Assign commissioners to units.
- Record contacts. A commissioner is most effective through frequent contact with units to build a friendly and trusting relationship.
- Roundtable administrations. Plan, record attendance, and monitor effectiveness.
- Conduct assessments to help a unit improve. In concert with the Unit Service Plan and Journey to Excellence (JTE), the tool provides the ability to record the results and build action plans that may access and incorporate district, council, and other resources beyond the unit.
- Monitor a unit’s progress. Access unit information.
The Commissioner Tools Focus Group will continue to add enhancements based upon commissioner feedback.
Commissioner Tools Training
Commissioner Tools has undergone a major revision and the web version went live on April 8, 2019.
The training for the updated Commissioner Tools is being presented in two formats, static training, and video modules.
Phase 1 – Static Training (available via links below)
Static training is presented in PowerPoint and PDF formats and guides the commissioner through the major highlights of commissioner tools. Individual commissioners can use the documents to familiarize themselves with the functionality of Commissioner Tools. These documents also can facilitate instructor lead training for newly recruited commissioners, or as a training element in a monthly commissioners meeting. Each PDF document is the speaker notes for the Powerpoint
The topics are:
- Navigation and Simple Assessments Powerpoint | PDF
- Detailed Assessments and Unit Service Plan Powerpoint | PDF
- Commissioner Tools Reports Powerpoint | PDF
- Commissioner Tools for Administrative Commissioners Powerpoint | PDF
- Commissioner Tools for Roundtable Commissioners Powerpoint | PDF
Phase 2 – Video Training Modules
The video training modules are below. They are temporarily being offered on this page until the BSA Learn Center is updated.
PLEASE NOTE: If the modules are used from this page, credit is NOT recorded in training records.
Click on the link to view the video.
Updates to Technology of Interest to Commissioners
Periodic communication documents with updates to BSA technology of interest to Commissioners.
Advanced Commissioner Tools Report Analysis Using Power Pivot Tables
In just a few seconds, Power Pivot tables can take your raw Commissioner Tools report data and create advanced reports. The Power Pivot table files were volunteer-developed and are NOT supported by the BSA’s Information Delivery Group. Presently, these tools work only on a Windows-based computer with Excel 2013 and newer; they do not work with Excel 2010 and earlier. We hope to expand the supported user base in the future. For assistance with these Power Pivot tables, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and a volunteer will respond to you.