Unit Service Plan
- Unit Service Plan PowerPoint presentation. Provides a fundamental understanding of the concepts for Commissioner Tools. The Unit Service Plan was developed to help improve unit performance based on unit needs discovered during a Detailed Assessment. Commissioner Tools incorporates both the Detailed Assessment and the Unit Service Plan.
- Why Do a Unit Service Plan?
- Why Use Commissioner Tools?
Commissioner Tools is available via the my.Scouting portal. Commissioner Tools helps commissioners perform by providing access to information critical to supporting units. Here are a few examples of Commissioner Tools capabilities:
- Assign commissioners to units.
- Record contacts. A commissioner is most effective through frequent contact with units to build a friendly and trusting relationship.
- Roundtable administrations. Plan, record attendance, and monitor effectiveness.
- Conduct assessments to help a unit improve. In concert with the Unit Service Plan and Journey to Excellence (JTE), the tool provides the ability to record the results and build action plans that may access and incorporate district, council, and other resources beyond the unit.
- Monitor a unit’s progress. Access unit information.
The Commissioner Tools Focus Group will continue to add enhancements based upon commissioner feedback.
Commissioner Tools Training
Here are a few must-read documents to help councils successfully use Commissioner Tools:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Commissioner Tools Acronyms and Definitions
- Commissioner Tools PowerPoint presentation. Includes speaker notes that could be used for local training. Note: For the sake of completeness and to promote learning through repetition, there intentionally is some overlap between this presentation and the Unit Service Plan presentation.
Video Training Modules
Video training modules are available in the BSA Learn Center, which can be accessed from the home page of my.Scouting.
Additional Commissioner Tools Training Resources
- Commissioner Tools Webinar—An hourlong Commissioner Tools orientation webinar.
- Troubleshooting—A text and pictorial Commissioner Tools troubleshooting guide.
- Collaborative Assessment for the Unit Key 3—This video describes the process and procedures for conducting a collaborative unit assessment. Commissioners and unit Key 3s should review the video prior to beginning a collaborative unit assessment.
- Commissioner Tools Virtual Forum—Why All the Changes?/Unit Service Plan (August 13, 2015)
Commissioner Assessment Forms. These blank detailed assessment forms taken from Commissioner Tools may be used as paper information-capture sheets if a commissioner does not want to work on the computer live while contacting a unit. Alternatively, they may be used by a commissioner who does not have access to a computer, and a “commissioner friend” will enter the information. They may also be used when collaborating with a unit to complete the assessment of a unit’s strengths and needs.
Unit Assessment Forms. These blank assessment forms taken from Commissioner Tools may be given to a unit leader to complete prior to the Collaborative Assessment being completed by the unit Key 3 and the unit commissioner. Ideally, the unit should complete these within my.scouting.org when they are sent to them by the commissioner; however, they may be used as a worksheet prior to entry in my.scouting.org. They may also be used when collaborating with a unit to complete the assessment of a unit’s strengths and needs.
Monthly Commissioner Tools Reports
Reports, generated monthly, summarize the contact activity from Commissioner Tools by district within councils. At the end of the report, area and region results are summarized.
Scenarios for Unit Assessments. These scenarios can be used for training commissioners in how to do a unit assessment.
Updates to Commissioner Tools
Periodic communication documents with updates to Commissioner Tools
Advanced Commissioner Tools Report Analysis Using Power Pivot Tables
In just a few seconds, Power Pivot tables can take your raw Commissioner Tools report data and create advanced reports. The Power Pivot table files were volunteer-developed and are NOT supported by the BSA’s Information Delivery Group. Presently, these tools work only on a Windows-based computer with Excel 2013 and newer; they do not work with Excel 2010 and earlier. We hope to expand the supported user base in the future. For assistance with these Power Pivot tables, please contact email@example.com and a volunteer will respond to you.