An effective commissioner provides unit leadership with information and guidance on the latest changes in their specific program whether it be Cub Scouts to Sea Scouts. Change is a constant throughout the national level programs and flowing down this information is an important part of ensuring quality programs for all youth participants of the BSA.
The following references below draw from either official Boy Scouts of America websites for those programs or latest articles from Bryan on Scouting.
Cub Scout Resources that can be shared with new leaders or families interested in Cub Scouts. The following resources were provided in a recent article from Bryan on Scouting.
- Welcome Tools for Families
- Online Resources for New Families
- New leadership recruitment material: Pack Committee Resources
The following Scouts BSA resources were provided in a recent article from Bryan on Scouting.
- Quick-start guide to Scouts BSA – Program Resources Page
- A checklist for a new Scoutmaster who might be unfamiliar with Scouts BSA
- The main page for family Scouting, which is the BSA’s initiative to welcome all members of the family into all Scouting programs
- A one-page, customizable document you can use at parent orientation
- A troop resource survey, which lets you learn the skills of each troop parent to identify potential merit badge counselors and volunteers
- The latest requirements for every merit badge
- The complete script for an orientation for new Scout parents
- Resources to help you plan better troop meetings
- Information on the National Eagle Scout Association, which is essentially an alumni group of those who have earned Scouting’s highest honor
- Latest updates to Scouts BSA – Program Updates Page
- New or updated language for Scouts BSA printed materials, such as the Scouts BSA Handbook, Scouts BSA Requirements book or a merit badge pamphlet
- Updated requirements for merit badges or ranks
- Information on new Scouts BSA initiatives or opportunities
The following Venturing resources can be found on the Crew Resources page:
- Starting up a new crew
- Recruiting new members
- Marketing Toolbox to share the Adventure
- Annual Planning Program for successful year
- College Scholarships to Venturing Summit Award Recipients
- Starting a Scouts BSA Troop as a source of youth looking for the next great adventure.
The following resources for Sea Scouting can be found under the Resources menu at SeaScout.org:
- Ship Resources
- Scout Resources
- Leader Resources
- Quick Resources
- Marketing Toolbox
- Program Toolbox
The following resources can be found on the Disabilities Awareness page
- General Resources
- Continuing education courses, Special Needs Scouting
- Scouts with Special Needs and Disabilities brochure
Awards Central is the Boy Scouts of America’s repository for information about official awards and recognitions. This is where the most up-to-date information about BSA-related awards may be found, including award applications and nomination forms.