THE ROLE OF RECOGNITION
Recognition has been a fundamental part of Scouting from its beginning. Done well, it is a powerful tool that can help leaders set goals, define accomplishments, encourage skill development, celebrate commitment and achievement, and inspire others to strive for similar success.
Effective recruiting is essential to effective unit service and recognition can help us identify and recruit the volunteers to serve as commissioners. Recognition criteria should provide a clear definition of success: the attitude, skills, training and behavior needed to perform effectively in a position.
For commissioners, effective recognition supports recruiting and developing a team that will help unit leaders start and build strong, sustainable units that will enable them better serve more youth through Scouting.
Commissioner recognition and this awards and recognition website have three objectives:
- Establish recognition opportunities for all commissioners.
- Establish consistent requirements that incorporate the contemporary tools and techniques commissioners use.
- Provide easy access to information, including opportunities, requirements, progress records, certificates, and available recognition items.
There are three categories of commissioner awards and recognition:
- Recognition of an individual’s commitment to serve.
- Recognition of an individual’s development.
- Recognition of an individual’s impact.
There are also three classifications of commissioner awards and recognition:
- Recognition from an individual’s selection to serve.
- Recognition from an individual’s application for an award.
- Recognition from an individual’s nomination for an award.
REQUIREMENTS AND PROGRESS RECORDS
Requirements and progress records (or nomination forms) have been consolidated into a single pdf form that can be downloaded and saved to a local device. The forms can be completed by simply positioning the cursor in the first (or next desired) field and entering the applicable information. Applicants can track their progress and when all requirements are completed the progress record can be emailed (or printed and delivered) for review, approval and processing. Those wishing to nominate an individual for an award can follow a similar process.
Recognition certificates are also available as pdf forms. They can be completed on line (or downloaded to a local device) and printed. Paper stock selection determines the final product. Using standard printer paper provides a good result; using higher quality stock (e.g., “resume’ paper”) provides a higher quality certificate suitable for framing. Download Commissioner Training Certificates
AVAILABLE COMMISSIONER AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS