With the best interest of our volunteers in mind, the Aquatics Subcommittee has decided to pivot the biennial 2020 BSA National Aquatics Conference from an in-person to a virtual event. This Virtual Aquatics Conference will have seven Zoom sessions over the course of four weeks in late September to mid-October. Each session will be approximately 90 minutes in duration and there will be plenty of opportunities for questions and answers. We anticipate that this virtual format will reach a much larger audience than our traditional in-person event.
This free Aquatics conference is especially well-suited for council program directors, council aquatic committee members, camp aquatic directors and National Camping School staff members. Anyone with an interest in BSA aquatics is welcome. These sessions will be recorded and posted for later viewing.
Session topics include:
- Overview of BSA Aquatics Since 2018 – This session will review and discuss the changes to BSA Aquatics that have occurred in the last two years.
- Covid-19: Aquatics Best Practices and Lessons Learned, a moderated panel discussion – In this session, a panel will share their best practices and experiences in the Aquatics areas from the 2019 season.
- Building an Aquatic Staff: A long term process – This session will examine solutions and best practices to alleviate the annual search for an Aquatic Director problem, combatting the national lifeguard shortage, and how to establish continuity in your camps aquatic staff.
- Customer Service in Aquatics – This session will discuss the aquatics programs from a customer service perspective. Maintaining the positive staff attitude and maintaining safety.
- Whitewater Rafting – This session will review the BSA’s resources and policies on Whitewater Rafting and talk about the Whitewater Rafting Award.
- Aquatic Staff Guide – Revision rollout. This session will spotlight and introduce the newly revised Aquatic Staff Guide, a 2019/2020 project of the Aquatics Subcommittee.
- Effective Aquatic Committee’s, a moderated panel discussion – In this session, a panel of successful Council Aquatic Committee Chairmen will share their best practices and lessons learned in developing and maintaining a high functioning Council Aquatic Committee.
- Swimming Instruction – This session will focus on practical techniques for effective swimming stroke instruction.
- Key Note Speaker – Al Lambert, Assistant Chief Scout Executive and Director of Outdoor Programs.
- High Adventure Base Updates – What’s new and different at The Summit, Northern Tier and the Florida Sea Base?
- Plus, updates from the American Red Cross, American Canoe Association, Outdoor Programs Group, and Sea Scouts programs
For session dates and to register, please follow the link below.