Organized camping is a creative, educational experience in cooperative group living in the outdoors. It uses the natural surroundings to contribute significantly to physical, mental, spiritual, and social growth.
- Camping contributes to good health.
- Camping helps campers develop self-reliance and resourcefulness.
- Camping enhances spiritual growth.
- Camping contributes to social development.
- Camping is an experience in citizenship training.
- Camping at the Cub Scout level introduces Cub Scouts to the knowledge and skills they will learn and apply more thoroughly as a Scout.
Cub Scouting offers camping opportunities for Cub Scouts through day camps, resident camps, Webelos den overnight campouts, council-organized family camps, and pack overnighters.
The Outdoor Programs Committee Guide, No. 430-935, is designed to help councils and districts offer a balanced outdoor program that delivers the promise of Scouting—from Cub Scouting to Venturing and Sea Scouting. The publication emphasizes integration of partner committees (Conservation, COPE/Climbing, Aquatics, Fishing, Shooting, Properties, Maintenance, Risk Management, and Health and Safety) to achieve the program goals of the council. The appendix includes a self-assessment tool to help councils identify areas for improvement.
Camping at the Cub Scout level introduces Cub Scouts to and helps them develop outdoor skills at an age-appropriate level that will later be applied more thoroughly as a Scout.
Portable Outdoor Programming Exciting program venues that are easily transportable. Put some POP in your Cub outdoor programs.
Pack Overnight Form This site appraisal form is to be used by the local BSA council to evaluate pack overnight family camping locations. It should be kept on file in the council office for local unit reference and is periodically reviewed for accuracy.
Outdoor adventure is the promise made to boys and girls when they join Scouting. Young people yearn for outdoor programs that stir their imagination and interest.
- Conservation Publications List
- Camping Publications List
- Pack Overnighter Site Approval Form
- Preparing Troop Leadership for Summer Camp
- Camporee Guide
- Trek Safely: A Guide to Unit Trek Planning