COPE and Climbing Resources
Belay On Manual – The Belay On manual is a reference for challenge course and climbing programs operated within the BSA. Belay On is available online in PDF format at no cost to BSA members, who are free to use it in BSA programs for non-commercial purposes. The publication will not be available in printed form from BSA Supply Group. Councils are free to reproduce Belay On as needed for their local training programs.
Climb On Safely is the Boy Scouts of America’s procedure for organizing BSA climbing/rappelling activities at a natural site or a specifically designed facility such as a climbing wall or tower.
Cave Safely, Cave Softly – Learn before you go. Caving can be an exciting unit activity, but requires knowledge and preparation. This guide can help. For more information refer to the NSS Guide to Responsible Caving.
Canyoneering Safely – Another exciting adventure for units prepared with the right knowledge and equipment. This guide will help in that preparation and keep Scouts and leaders safe.
Climbing Merit Badge
Climbing is not a sport that requires tremendous muscular strength, it demands mental toughness and the willingness to practice hard to master a set of skills. The adventure of climbing can also provide a new way to enjoy the outdoors.
COPE and Climbing Staff Training Syllabi
The links below are to key items that support your council’s COPE and climbing program. These PDFs were updated in February 2015. Updates to the website will be made periodically. PDFs are official training documents. Word documents may be customized. Please share these with others who are involved in COPE and climbing programs.
Foundation (common to COPE and climbing)
Activity Consent Form
If non-Scout groups use COPE or climbing facilities, all participants need to have an Activity Consent Form and Approval by Parents or Legal Guardian completed. In the event the council’s legal team does not have one specific to the council, the BSA’s Activity Consent Form can be used for this purpose.
COPE and Climbing Training Course Codes/Cards
COPE and Climbing Frequently Asked Questions
- COMING SOON!
Documents for COPE and Climbing Professional Inspections
- Request for Proposal for BSA Challenge Course Inspections
- Suggested Agreement With Independent Contractors and Consultants
Risk Management Resources
Advisory on OSHA Regulations for Challenge Course Worker Safety pdf
- CHECK Explanation
- Posters, No. 616833
- Stickers, No. 616234
- Hang tag, No. 616832
COPE and Climbing Subcommittee Chair
- Rhonda Wright firstname.lastname@example.org
COPE and Climbing Region Chairs
- Central Region: John Harrits, email@example.com
- Northeast Region: Chris Moon, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southern Region: Jim Miller (climbing), email@example.com; Randy Hinckley (COPE), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Western Region: Steve Dodson email@example.com.
- Area 1 – Olcott Thompson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 2 – Brandt Jones, email@example.com or Fred Radtke, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 3 – Jason Lewis, JAlewis@bsamail.org
- Area 4 – Mel Krone, email@example.com
- Area 6 – Rich Gomez, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 1 – Greg Hasse, email@example.com
- Area 2 – Victor Pitcel, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 3 – Kris Mehrtens, email@example.com
- Area 4 – Dave Madigan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 5 – Phil Wilhelm, email@example.com
- Area 6 – Dave Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 7 – Jim Thuot, email@example.com
- Area 1 – EJ Moore, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 2 – Ed Knetsch, email@example.com
- Area 3 – Eliot Ballard, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 4 – Nick Belli, Nicholas.Belli@gmail.com
- Area 5 – Stan Haines, email@example.com
- Area 6 – Rodney Todd, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 7 – Bill Spence, email@example.com
- Area 8 – Andrew Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 9 – Jay Weiss, email@example.com
- Area 1 – Art Washburn, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 2 – Chris Moon, email@example.com
- Area 3 – Tim Woods, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 4 – Jerry Clark, email@example.com
- Area 5 – Joe Antonino, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 6 – John Ertel, profertel@gmailcom