Belay On Manual Is New BSA Resource for COPE and Climbing
The new Belay On manual replaces the old Project COPE manual and Topping Out as a reference for challenge course and climbing programs operated within the BSA. Belay On is available online in PDF format at no cost to BSA members, who are free to use it in BSA programs for non-commercial purposes. The publication will not be available in printed form from BSA Supply Group, but printed copies will be provided for attendees at COPE and climbing courses at National Camping Schools. Councils are free to reproduce Belay On as needed for their local training programs. Download the manual here.
Climb On Safely is the Boy Scouts of America’s procedure for organizing BSA climbing/rappelling activities at a natural site or a specifically designed facility such as a climbing wall or tower.
Cave Safely, Cave Softly – Learn before you go. Caving can be an exciting unit activity, but requires knowledge and preparation. This guide can help.
Canyoneering Safely – Another exciting adventure for units prepared with the right knowledge and equipment. This guide will help in that preparation and keep Scouts and leaders safe.
Climbing Merit Badge
Climbing is not a sport that requires tremendous muscular strength, it demands mental toughness and the willingness to practice hard to master a set of skills. The adventure of climbing can also provide a new way to enjoy the outdoors.
COPE and Climbing Staff Training Syllabi
The links below are to key items that support your council’s COPE and climbing program. These PDFs were updated in February 2015. Updates to the website will be made periodically. PDFs are official training documents. Word documents may be customized. Please share these with others who are involved in COPE and climbing programs.
Foundation (common to COPE and climbing)
Activity Consent Form
If non-Scout groups use COPE or climbing facilities, all participants need to have an Activity Consent Form and Approval by Parents or Legal Guardian completed. In the event the council’s legal team does not have one specific to the council, the BSA’s Activity Consent Form can be used for this purpose.
COPE and Climbing Training Course Codes/Cards
COPE and Climbing Training Program Evaluation
- Training Program Evaluation Process
- Training Program Evaluation Process Narrative
- Training Program Evaluation Form
- Approved training program evaluators
COPE and Climbing Continuing Education
COPE and Climbing Frequently Asked Questions
Documents for COPE and Climbing Professional Inspections
- Request for Proposal for BSA Challenge Course Inspections
- Suggested Agreement With Independent Contractors and Consultants
Risk Management Resources
Advisory on OSHA Regulations for Challenge Course Worker Safety pdf
- CHECK Explanation
- Posters, No. 616833
- Stickers, No. 616234
- Hang tag, No. 616832
COPE and Climbing Subcommittee Chair
- Rhonda Wright email@example.com
COPE and Climbing Region Chairs
- Central Region: John Harrits, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Northeast Region: Chris Moon, email@example.com
- Southern Region: Jim Miller (climbing), firstname.lastname@example.org; Randy Hinckley (COPE), email@example.com
- Steve Dodson firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Area 1 – Olcott Thompson, email@example.com
- Area 2 – Brandt Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org or Fred Radtke, email@example.com
- Area 3 – Jason Lewis, JAlewis@bsamail.org
- Area 4 – Mel Krone, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 6 – Rich Gomez, email@example.com
- Area 1 – Greg Hasse, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 2 – Victor Pitcel, email@example.com
- Area 3 – Kris Mehrtens, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 4 – Dave Madigan, email@example.com
- Area 5 – Phil Wilhelm, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 6 – Dave Williams, email@example.com
- Area 7 – Jim Thuot, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 1 – EJ Moore, email@example.com
- Area 2 – Ed Knetsch, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 3 – Eliot Ballard, email@example.com
- Area 4 – Nick Belli, Nicholas.Belli@gmail.com
- Area 5 – Stan Haines, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 6 – Rodney Todd, email@example.com
- Area 7 – Bill Spence, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 8 – Andrew Miller, email@example.com
- Area 9 – Jay Weiss, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 1 – Art Washburn, email@example.com
- Area 2 – Chris Moon, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 3 – Tim Woods, email@example.com
- Area 4 – Jerry Clark, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Area 5 – Joe Antonino, email@example.com
- Area 6 – John Ertel, profertel@gmailcom