The safety and health of campers and staff is always the highest priority at camp, and BSA camps have a long history of planning for and managing communicable diseases. With the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) within the United States, camps are reviewing and updating health-related plans and procedures. If there is something you wish were here that we do not have, please let us know at email@example.com
COVID-19 General Camp Resources
- BSA COVID-19 Guidance – Link to the BSA’s COVID-19 resources and FAQ
- CDC Guidelines – Link to CDC guidelines for Considerations for youth and summer camps
- American Camp Association Camp Operations Field Guide – A guide from the American Camp Association for camp operations in COVID-19 (last updated February 2021)
- ACA COVID Resources – This link is the American Camp Association COVID general resource page for camps
- Association of Camp Nursing (ACN)– Link to the Association of Camp Nursing information regarding the virus.
- COVID Training Resources – This link is the ACA COVID online learning and event page
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute – COVID -19 resources from the ECSI.
- American Red Cross COVID-19 Guidance – Updates on training availability and extensions
- American Canoe Association COVID-19 Guidance – Link to the American Canoe Association suggested guidelines for teaching paddling during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Paddle Safely COVID-19 – Link to resources for safe paddling programs during COVID-19
- ACCT Association for Challenge Course Technology COVID-19 Resources – For COPE and Climbing COVID-19 Support
Additional Resources (Updated 2-15-2021)
- COVID-19 State by State Operating Guidance – Link to what we know states have released regarding camp operations during COVID-19
- BSA COVID-19 Incident Reporting – Direct link to the BSA COVID-19 incident reporting information site
- BSA Summer Camp Decision Guide Template 4-2-20 – A resource in helping to make the decision about IF and HOW we can open camp.
- Camp Nurse – This site is helpful for health information for camps. Some portions require membership.
- Closed Camp Checklist – A resource for camps who have chosen to close the property for some period of time.
- Suggested Camp Sanitation Supplies and Material list – Link to the suggested list of camp sanitation materials
- List of Potential Sanitation Suppliers & Test Kits– Potential PPE vendors for camp and COVID-19 Test Kit companies
- Cleaning Supplies & Sanitizer Vendors for Camps – Link to list of potential vendors
- BSA Pre-Event Medical Screening Information – includes a model template for pre-screening for COVID-19
- Coronavirus Crisis Communications triage kit – A link to the communications network page for crisis communications
- Training Lifeguards During COVID-19 (From the American Red Cross)
- Healthy Camp starts at home – a resource to share with parents to help develop healthy habits prior to arrival at camp
- COVID-19 Vaccine Communication Toolkit for Essential Workers (Out-of-School-Time-Workers ) As of January 2021
- CDC Vaccination Guidance – Information on vaccinations and quarantine requirements for those who have been vaccinated
- Kid’s Games for Social Distancing – These games allow for proper distancing and don’t require any shared equipment
- Socially Distant Game Ideas – From Camp Ho Mita Koda
- COPE and Climbing COVID-19 Strategies – Link from the Alliance Collaborative
- OSHA- Guidance for Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- Agency Resources for COVID-19 (April 2020)
- Communication Grid COVID19 BSA Camps 4-15-20 – A template for communications to stakeholders during COVID -19
- BSA COVID19 Program Guidance: Aquatics, Shooting Sports & COPE & Climbing – Resource for managing COVID-19 in these specific program areas
- All Camp Types and Events COVID Decision Guide Template (1-27-2021) – A decision guideline for councils considering operating camps in a COVID environment.
BSA COVID-19 Webinar Series –
Below are links to the webinar recordings from Outdoor Programs (most recent listed first).
Short-term Camp and COVID-19 Considerations – A walk-through of the decision guidelines for operation of a short-term camp. Includes strategies for risk mitigation and a look at the applicable NCAP standards – Jan 21, 2021
Penn State Pro Wellness and Camp Food Service– A discussion with Penn State about Camp Revamp and with camps who delivered food in various ways in 2020. Heart of America Council – Campsite delivery, Alamo Area Council – Dining Hall, and Longs Peak Council – Family Style dining hall. Links to some great resources for camp food service. – Jan 14,2021
Lessons Learned from Camp– Five councils who operated in person Day, weekend and Resident Camps in 2020 share the lessons learned through their experiences. Also a look at lessons learned nationally. – September 3, 2020
Camp is Not Operating this Summer – Actions You Can Take Now– A conversation about what it means for camp to be “closed” and a closer look at three case studies from the Atlanta Area Council, Jersey Shore Council, and the Conquistador Council sharing ideas of best practices with camps “closed”. In addition a discussion about alternate programs an insurance considerations. – July 16, 2020
Your Council and Camp is Open, Now What Happens If? – A conversation through incident reviews about what happens if or when COVID-19 comes to your camp, council, or unit meetings. A framework conversation about steps for your recovery plan. – June 23, 2020
Day Camp 2020 Live Q&A and Best Practices – A conversation with the National Cub Scout Camping Committee about the operation of a Cub Scout Day camp in 2020 including best practices top ten and virtual camp resources – June 1, 2020
Mash Up Webinar: Three Topics – Discussion centered around current ACA/CDC guidance viewed through a BSA lens, The Top 10 Items not to forget when running other programs at camp and Virtual NCAP Camp Standards – May 28, 2020
BSA Aquatics & COVID-19: Deep Dive – A conversation with the National Aquatics Sub-Committee about protocols for Aquatics in 2020 at BSA summer camps and year round operations in the COVID-19 era. – May 28, 2020
COPE and Climbing Program Area – Knotted up in the details. – A conversation with the National COPE and Climbing Sub-Committee about protocols for COPE and Climbing program in 2020 at BSA summer camps and year round operations in the COVID-19 era. – May 27, 2020
Council Health Supervisor Collaborative Discussion – A conversation with members of the national health and safety committee about guidelines for local council health supervisors in a COVID- 19 camp. May 26, 2020
Shooting Sports Program Area– Cease fire or all Clear – A conversation with the National Shooting Sports Committee Chair about protocols for shooting ranges in 2020 at BSA summer camps and year round operations in the COVID-19 era. – May 21, 2020
Opening Camps Gate #2: Getting Ready – A conversation about CDC guidance (as we understand it), an answer to Annual Health and Medical Record questions, and some information about sanitation at camp. – May 7, 2020
Camp Finance and COVID -19 and Q&A – A conversation about the finance question related to opening camping in 2020 and a panel of experts answers questions on various camp related topics. – April 30, 2020
Opening Camp’s Gate: Getting Ready – The first of the conversations about what to do once you are ready to “open” camp. Information about Safety, Sanitation, and National Supply needs. – April 23, 2020
Seasonal Staff and COVID – 19 – A discussion about staff concerns with COVID -19. Topics include HR, Staff Engagement, Training, National Camping School. – April 16, 2020
Communicating with Parents and Leaders During COVID – 19 – A discussion about building your communication plan and considerations for communicating to your customers. – April 6, 2020
Building Your Decision Timeline for Summer 2020 – A discussion about how to build your decision guide and items to consider. – April 2, 2020
BSA Summer Camps in Uncertain Times COVID -19 Discussion Group – Conversation about the COVID -19 impact on camps. – March 26, 2020