The safety and health of campers and staff is always the highest priority at camp, and BSA camps have a long history of planning for and managing communicable diseases. With the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) within the United States, camps are reviewing and updating health-related plans and procedures. If there is something you wish were here that we do not have, please let us know at email@example.com
COVID-19 General Camp Resources
- BSA COVID Mitigation (Swiss Cheese) Plan – Link to the “Swiss cheese” graphic of BSA mitigation strategy PDF
- BSA COVID Mitigation (Swiss Cheese) Plan – GIF – The Swiss cheese graphic GIF (As shown above) that builds to show the layers of mitigation
- BSA COVID-19 Guidance – Link to the BSA’s COVID-19 resources and FAQ
- CDC Guidelines – Link to CDC guidelines for Considerations for youth and summer camps
- American Camp Association Camp Operations Field Guide – A guide from the American Camp Association for camp operations in COVID-19 (last updated February 2021)
- ACA COVID Resources – This link is the American Camp Association COVID general resource page for camps
- Association of Camp Nursing (ACN)– Link to the Association of Camp Nursing information regarding the virus.
- COVID Training Resources – This link is the ACA COVID online learning and event page
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute – COVID -19 resources from the ECSI.
- American Red Cross COVID-19 Guidance – Updates on training availability and extensions
- American Canoe Association COVID-19 Guidance – Link to the American Canoe Association suggested guidelines for teaching paddling during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Paddle Safely COVID-19 – Link to resources for safe paddling programs during COVID-19
- ACCT Association for Challenge Course Technology COVID-19 Resources – For COPE and Climbing COVID-19 Support
Additional Resources (Updated 4-28-2021)
- COVID-19 State by State Operating Guidance – Link to what we know states have released regarding camp operations during COVID-19
- BSA COVID-19 Incident Reporting – Direct link to the BSA COVID-19 incident reporting information site
- BSA Summer Camp Decision Guide Template 4-2-20 – A resource in helping to make the decision about IF and HOW we can open camp.
- Safe Camp Advocacy Opening Support Materials – For use when working with your local health department and other agencies.
- Camp Nurse – This site is helpful for health information for camps. Some portions require membership.
- Closed Camp Checklist – A resource for camps who have chosen to close the property for some period of time.
- Suggested Camp Sanitation Supplies and Material list – Link to the suggested list of camp sanitation materials
- List of Potential Sanitation Suppliers & Test Kits– Potential PPE vendors for camp and COVID-19 Test Kit companies
- Cleaning Supplies & Sanitizer Vendors for Camps – Link to list of potential vendors
- BSA Pre-Event Medical Screening Information – includes a model template for pre-screening for COVID-19
- Coronavirus Crisis Communications triage kit – A link to the communications network page for crisis communications
- Training Lifeguards During COVID-19 (From the American Red Cross)
- Healthy Camp starts at home – a resource to share with parents to help develop healthy habits prior to arrival at camp
- COVID-19 Vaccine Communication Toolkit for Essential Workers (Out-of-School-Time-Workers ) As of January 2021
- CDC Vaccination Guidance – Information on vaccinations and quarantine requirements for those who have been vaccinated
- Kid’s Games for Social Distancing – These games allow for proper distancing and don’t require any shared equipment
- Socially Distant Game Ideas – From Camp Ho Mita Koda
- 2021 COPE and Climbing COVID-19 Strategies – Link from the Alliance Collaborative
- OSHA- Guidance for Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- Agency Resources for COVID-19 (April 2020)
- Communication Grid COVID19 BSA Camps 4-15-20 – A template for communications to stakeholders during COVID -19
- BSA COVID19 Program Guidance: Aquatics, Shooting Sports & COPE & Climbing – Resource for managing COVID-19 in these specific program areas
- All Camp Types and Events COVID Decision Guide Template (1-27-2021) – A decision guideline for councils considering operating camps in a COVID environment.
BSA COVID-19 Webinar Series –
Below are links to the webinar recordings from Outdoor Programs (most recent listed first).
Day Camp and COVID-19 Mitigation – A discussion on various COVID-19 mitigation strategies that will support your Day Camp COVID-19 mitigation planning. – May 18, 2021
Short-term Camp and COVID-19 Considerations – A walk-through of the decision guidelines for operation of a short-term camp. Includes strategies for risk mitigation and a look at the applicable NCAP standards – Jan 21, 2021
Penn State Pro Wellness and Camp Food Service– A discussion with Penn State about Camp Revamp and with camps who delivered food in various ways in 2020. Heart of America Council – Campsite delivery, Alamo Area Council – Dining Hall, and Longs Peak Council – Family Style dining hall. Links to some great resources for camp food service. – Jan 14,2021
Lessons Learned from Camp– Five councils who operated in person Day, weekend and Resident Camps in 2020 share the lessons learned through their experiences. Also a look at lessons learned nationally. – September 3, 2020