Qualifications: Is an older, experienced Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, or Venturer. Selected by the senior patrol leader and Scoutmaster, Varsity Scout Coach, or Venturing Advisor at the request of the Cubmaster or Webelos den leader. Preferably a former Cub Scout; ideally at least First Class rank. Approved by the Cubmaster and pack committee for recommendation to the Webelos den leader. Registered as a youth member of a troop, team, or crew.
Responsibilities: The Webelos den chief’s responsibilities are to
- Know the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Help Webelos Scouts achieve the purposes of Cub Scouting.
- Serve as the activities assistant at Webelos den meetings.
- Set a good example through attitude and uniforming.
- Be a friend to the boys in the Webelos den.
- Help lead weekly den meetings.
- Help the Webelos den in its part of the monthly pack meeting.
- Meet regularly with the Webelos den leader to review den meeting plans.
- Help Webelos den leaders as requested.
- Help Webelos Scouts in their work with activity badge counselors.
- Help the Webelos denner and assistant denner to be leaders.
- Receive training from the den leader (and Cubmaster or assistant Cubmaster) and attend Den Chief Training.
- Help with Webelos overnight campouts and other outdoor experiences.
- Help with joint Webelos Scout-Boy Scout activities.
- Keep in contact with the assistant Scoutmaster in the troop.
- Help the assistant Scoutmaster and Cubmaster plan graduation ceremonies for Webelos Scouts.