With the best interest of our volunteers in mind, the BSA National Aquatics Subcommittee has moved the biennial 2020 BSA National Aquatics Conference from an in-person to a virtual event. This Virtual Aquatics Conference will have seven Zoom sessions over the course of four weeks. Each session will be approximately 90 minutes in duration and there will be plenty of opportunities for questions and answers. We anticipate that this virtual format will reach a much larger audience than our traditional in-person event.
This free Aquatics conference is especially well-suited for council program directors, council aquatic committee members, camp aquatic directors and National Camping School staff members. Anyone with an interest in BSA aquatics is welcome. These sessions will be recorded and posted for later viewing.
Virtual Aquatics Workshop Schedule
Thursday, September 24th. 8pm EST (7pm CST, 6pm MST, 5pm PST)
- Conference Welcome
- Overview of BSA Aquatics Since 2018 – This session will review and discuss the changes to BSA Aquatics that have occurred in the last two years.
- National BSA Outdoor Programs Group Update
- American Red Cross Update
Tuesday, September 29th. 8pm EST (7pm CST, 6pm MST, 5pm PST)
- Covid-19: Aquatics Best Practices and Lessons Learned, a moderated panel discussion – In this session, a panel will share their best practices and experiences in the Aquatics areas from the 2019 season.
- High Adventure Base Update – What’s new and different at the Florida High Adventure Sea Base?
Thursday, October 1st. 8pm EST (7pm CST, 6pm MST, 5pm PST)
- Building an Aquatic Staff: A long term process – This session will examine solutions and best practices to alleviate the annual search for an Aquatic Director problem, combatting the national lifeguard shortage, and how to establish continuity in your camps aquatic staff.
- Customer Service in Aquatics – This session will discuss the aquatics programs from a customer service perspective. Maintaining the positive staff attitude and maintaining safety.
- High Adventure Base Update – What’s new and different at Northern Tier?
Tuesday, October 6th. 8pm EST (7pm CST, 6pm MST, 5pm PST)
- Whitewater Rafting – This session will review the BSA’s resources and policies on Whitewater Rafting and talk about the Whitewater Rafting Award.
- American Canoe Association Update
- High Adventure Base Update – What’s new and different at The Summit?
Thursday, October 8th. 8pm EST (7pm CST, 6pm MST, 5pm PST)
- Aquatic Staff Guide – Revision rollout. This session will spotlight and introduce the newly revised Aquatic Staff Guide, a 2019/2020 project of the Aquatics Subcommittee.
- Effective Aquatic Committee’s, a moderated panel discussion – In this session, a panel of successful Council Aquatic Committee Chairmen will share their best practices and lessons learned in developing and maintaining a high functioning Council Aquatic Committee.
Tuesday, October 13th. 8pm EST (7pm CST, 6pm MST, 5pm PST)
- Sea Scouts Update
- Swimming Instruction – This session will focus on practical techniques for effective swimming stroke instruction.
Tuesday, October 15th. 8pm EST (7pm CST, 6pm MST, 5pm PST)
- Key Note Speaker – Al Lambert, Assistant Chief Scout Executive and Director of Outdoor Programs.
Click here for printable newsletter for distribution