Service Project Ideas
Submit Your Project
WOSM Messengers of Peace
Peace is more than the absence of war. It encompasses harmony between individuals, between communities, and between humankind and the environment. A Messengers of Peace service project is defined as any project that touches on one of these dimensions of peace:
- The personal dimension: harmony, justice, and equality
- The community dimension: peace as opposed to hostility or violent conflict
- Relationships between humankind and its environment: security, social and economic welfare, and relationship with the environment
Here are sample project ideas:
- Host a holiday party for children of prison inmates.
- Collect books and magazines for inner-city schools.
- Conduct entertainment programs, including skits and plays, at a nursing home.
- Make and donate gift boxes to be distributed by Feed the Children.
- Assist organizations that provide home maintenance services for those in need.
- Clean a Habitat for Humanity house before the family moves in.
- Create a community prayer garden.
- Replace graffiti with peace-related murals.
- Host conflict-resolution workshops in a local school.
- Plan a sports tournament that brings together kids from different segments of the community.
- Serve as “victims” for a county EMT or first responders training course.
- Assist in the packaging of medical supplies for developing countries.
- Clean up a campground, a local park, a river, or a school parking lot.
- Assist with a shoreline-restoration project.
- Collect and dispose of household chemicals, batteries, and other potentially dangerous waste products from the residences of shut-ins.
- Remove invasive species and plant native trees in a park.
- Volunteer at a community recycling center.
- Clear brush from fire buffer zone.
For tips on conducting successful projects, visit www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Awards/JourneyToExcellence/unit_tips.aspx.