AFL-CIO Wood Badge Scholarship Program
A survey conducted by the Boy Scouts of America revealed that one of every four unit leaders is a union member. This means that hundreds of thousands of union members are actively serving the youth of their community in such leadership roles as Cubmasters, den leaders, Scoutmasters, Varsity Scout Coaches, Venturing Advisors, and committee members.
Recognizing this, it is proper that the AFL-CIO offer a Wood Badge scholarship to assist selected union members in acquiring skills that will better equip them to serve the youth of their communities.
- This scholarship program covers the current Wood Badge course, which was updated in 2000. Wood Badge for the 21st century has been developed for all Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing leaders, as well as council and district leaders. The focus of the course is on the development of leadership skills, not outdoor skills.
- There shall be awarded annually three scholarships for each BSA region, for a total of 12.
- Scholarships will cover the tuition fee only. The recipient must furnish transportation to and from Wood Badge training locations.
- Eligibility shall be limited to lifetime and dues-paying union members.
- Applicants must satisfy all Wood Badge course prerequisites.
- All applications will be reviewed by AFL-CIO members involved with Scouting.
Download an application form for the AFL-CIO Wood Badge Scholarship