This certification grants a Scout the right to carry fire-lighting devices (matches, lighters, etc.) and build campfires. The Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone
designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to
do the following:
- I have read and understand use and safety rules from the
Boy Scout Handbook.
- I will build a campfire only when necessary and when I have
the necessary permits (regulations vary by locality).
- I will minimize campfire impacts or use existing fire lays
consistent with the principles of Leave No Trace. I will check
to see that all flammable material is cleared at least 5 feet in
all directions from fire (total 10 feet).
- I will safely use and store fire-starting materials.
- I will see that fire is attended to at all times.
- I will make sure that water and/or shovel is readily available.
I will promptly report any wildfire to the proper authorities.
- I will use the cold-out test to make sure the fire is cold out and
will make sure the fire lay is cleaned before I leave it.
- I follow the Outdoor Code, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and the principles of Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly!
The Scout’s "Firem’n Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in