Certification grants a Scout the right to carry matches and build campfires. Scouts must show their Scout leader, or someone designated by their leader, that they understand their responsibility to do the eight requirements.
Who Can Earn This Award?
Earned by Scouts BSA members.
How To Get the Award
Unit purchases from Scout shop.
Supply Item Description & Uniform Placement
Supply/BIN Item Number
Patch, No. 8599
Firem’n Chit Requirements
This certification grants a Scout the right to carry fire-lighting devices (matches, lighters, etc.) to build campfires. The Scout must show their Scout leader, or someone designated by their leader, an understanding of the responsibility to do the following:
- I have read and understand use and safety rules from the Scouts BSA Handbook.
- I will build a campfire only when necessary and when I have the necessary permits (regulations vary by locality).
- I will minimize campfire impacts or use existing fire lays consistent with the principles of Leave No Trace. I will check to see that all flammable material is cleared at least 5 feet in all directions from fire (total 10 feet).
- I will safely use and store fire-starting materials.
- I will see that fire is attended to at all times.
- I will make sure that water and/or a shovel is readily available. I will promptly report any wildfire to the proper authorities.
- I will use the cold-out test to make sure the fire is cold out and will make sure the fire lay is cleaned before I leave it.
- I follow the Outdoor Code, the Guide to Safe Scouting, and the principles of Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly!
The Scout’s “Firem’n Rights” can be taken away if they fail in their responsibility.