Personal fitness is one of the aims of Scouting. To show a commitment to this value and earn the SCOUTStrong Healthy Unit Award, follow three healthy practices at all meetings and gatherings:
- Snack smart: Serve fruits or vegetables, when you have snacks (three meetings).
- Drink right: Make water the main beverage (six meetings).
- Move more: Include 15 minutes of fun physical activity (nine meetings).
Scouts can earn the SCOUTStrong Healthy Unit Award with their den, pack, troop, or crew.
Record progress toward the award using the Healthy Unit Award tracker:
Achievements for each rank that match the Healthy Unit Award activities are listed on each tracker for Cub Scouts. If you are a pack leader tracking progress toward the award, use the Boy Scout version of the tracker.
Resources to bring healthy practices to Scout meetings:
- Snack Smart: Tips and ideas for healthy snacks
- Snack Smart: Letter for snack volunteers
- Drink Right: Sugar Detectives (extra activity listed on the tracker)
- Move More: Ideas for Active Games
Has your unit earned the award? Congratulations on becoming a SCOUTStrong healthy unit!
Purchase SCOUTStrong Healthy Unit Award patches at www.scoutstuff.org.
SCOUTStrong Across the Country
Read stories and tips from Scout leaders who have led their units to be SCOUTStrong and healthy!
The SCOUTStrong Healthy Unit Award was developed in partnership with Healthy Kids Out of School, an initiative of ChildObesity180 at Tufts University. Regional funding for Healthy Kids Out of School is provided by the Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Foundation.