National Statement on COVID-19
To our Scouting Community,
As always, the safety of our Scouts, volunteers, employees and communities is our top priority.
As we monitor and adjust to the ever–changing Coronavirus pandemic, we must uphold our promise to help other people at all times. Today, that means continuing to do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19, which is now present in all 50 states. We will continue to evaluate the ongoing situation and prioritize the safety of everyone involved in Scouting – youth, families, volunteers, employees and our communities. We realize these decisions are not without their challenges, and we thank you for helping meet the needs of our communities in difficult times.
The steps we are taking reinforce the many ways – big and small – that Scouting empowers character and leadership today and for generations to come.
HAB Update #4 - May 1, 2020
Are treks still happening at the BSA High Adventure bases this summer?
At this point, all bases are planning to be open, however most have delayed starts that may affect your crew’s plans. Please refer to your base’s official website for the most current information.
Click the High Adventure Base Logos below to visit their website
CLICK HERE for a video message from Al Lambert, Assistant Chief Scout Executive/National Director of Outdoor Adventures and the national high adventure base general managers.
What happens if our trek is cancelled by the BSA?
If the Boy Scouts of America or a National High Adventure Base (HAB) cancels your program due to COVID-19, you can reschedule your adventure and apply fees to an alternate date later in 2020 or 2021 (and 2022 at PSR & the Summit) at 2020 pricing. If it is not possible for you to reschedule, you will receive a full refund of fees paid.
What happens if we need to cancel our trek?
If you cancel your program during the COVID-19 outbreak, you may select an adventure later in 2020 or 2021 (and 2022 at PSR & the Summit) at 2020 pricing. If it is not possible for you to reschedule, you will receive a refund of fees paid less 10% (to support the program costs of operating the HAB). See the HAB website for more information.
What measures are being taken to ensure the health & safety of participants?
All bases are monitoring guidelines issued by the Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and their local jurisdictions to adjust their operating procedures to protect the health of participants. As these guidelines are expected to evolve, please continue to monitor your base’s official website for the most current information.
How does our crew meet the Wilderness First Aid and CPR requirements?
We encourage crew leadership to complete the published Wilderness First Aid and CPR requirements by seeking local training courses prior to your session. However, each base has implemented alternate plans to address remote first aid and no crews will be denied program due to the inability to meet WFA and CPR requirements during the 2020 season. High adventure base program models have been adjusted to accommodate crews who do not have these certifications. A complete menu of options will be available May 15.
Are there options to meet the Annual Health and Medical Record requirement?
We are aware of locations where access to non-emergency medical care has been limited, however, as many states begin to phase in opening businesses, the ability to obtain a physical may become available. Options for completing the BSA Annual Health and Medical Record will be available May 15.
HAB Update #3 - April 15, 2020
Status of summer 2020 operations
COVID-19 has brought unprecedented uncertainty, financial challenges and impact to our daily lives. The leadership of the BSA and the National High Adventure Bases (HAB’s) recognize that Scouts and leaders have been planning for many months to enjoy a life changing High Adventure experience.
The health and safety of our participants and staff is our utmost concern. At this time, the HAB’s plan to operate in the summer of 2020 if we can do so safely and within the guidelines of the CDC.
On May 1st we will provide an update on the 2020 season specific to each National High Adventure Base. We understand that crews need to make travel plans. However, by applying a metered approach to the summer season, it allows the most flexibility in adjusting programs to serve participants.
Refunds for summer 2020
The National Executive Committee will review the refund policy for the HAB’s and information regarding those policies will be posted on May 1st.
Additional programs for summer/fall/Holiday 2020
HAB’s have added additional late summer/fall and Holiday 2020 programs and we encourage you to review those.
Wilderness First Aid and other required courses
We understand that courses such as Wilderness First Aid are currently unavailable. We are working with the organizations that provide those trainings to have options for Crews which will be posted on May 1st.
BSA Annual Health and Medical Record
We are evaluating all options while being mindful of those who have valid exams as well as those new members and adults who may have never completed a Part C exam, state and local authority requirements, and the special review required by high adventure programs. In the interim, we recommend that council heath supervisors, camp staff and volunteers begin a conversation on local availability of well exams and alternatives that could be put in place.
If you have a summer 2020 payment coming up and are either unsure if you should make the payment or are having difficulty collecting payments, please contact the Registrar at the HAB you are planning to attend.
Those who have been hired for summer 2020 are being contacted by their respective HAB with specific updates. If you are interested in being on staff, please contact the HAB for more information regarding staff training dates or other factors.
State “Lockdowns” or “Stay at Home Orders”
We are monitoring the status of state “Lockdowns” or “Stay at Home Orders” that would interrupt travel during the time you are scheduled to attend an HAB. We will work with units to fill openings later in the summer should a state order preclude you from travel.
Where do I get updates regarding status of 2020?
Please refer to each HAB’s websites, listed below for updates on a bi-monthly basis
The Summit Bechtel Reserve – https://www.summitbsa.org/
Northern Tier – https://www.ntier.org/
Philmont Scout Ranch – https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/
Florida Sea Base – https://www.bsaseabase.org/
HAB Update #2 - April 1, 2020
As you are aware, the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a significant health concern, one that the BSA takes very seriously. The Boy Scouts of America’s High Adventure Bases (The Summit Bechtel Reserve, Northern Tier, Philmont Scout Ranch and Sea Base) are committed to providing a safe and high-quality program for the tens of thousands of young people who are planning to attend this summer.
The Coronavirus situation continues to change frequently. These updates are intended to inform your Crew regarding its summer 2020 High Adventure program.
Future updates are scheduled for April 15th and April 30th. These will be posted on the website of each High Adventure Base (HAB).
Q: Are you planning to operate for the summer of 2020?
Yes, all the HAB’s are planning to operate in the summer of 2020.
Q: What happens if we can’t attend our scheduled adventure due to issues with the Coronavirus, such as schools running later in the summer or other factors?
We will reschedule you to a program later in 2020 or in 2021; we know that you and your Crew have planned for and are expecting an incredible High Adventure experience.
Q: What if I cannot get a new Part C, pre-placement exam because my healthcare provider is not taking well care exams now?
We are evaluating all options while being mindful of those who have valid exams as well as those new members and adults who may have never completed a Part C exam, state and local authority requirements, and the special review required by high adventure programs. In the interim, we recommend that council health supervisors, camp staff, and volunteers begin a conversation on local availability of well exams and alternatives that could be put in place.
Q. My Wilderness First Aid Course has been cancelled; can I still go on my trek?
Current WFA certification will continue to be required for all backcountry and remote adventures. As a reminder, a current CPR/AED certification is a pre-requisite for a WFA course. In addition, we are closely monitoring the status of instructor-led courses and working with our partners at the American Red Cross and Emergency Care and Safety Institute for acceptable alternatives in the event courses are not available in your community. We will post further information in the next update.
Note: Online only WFA courses do not meet the WFA requirement. As we review the issue, we suggest that you begin working with your council WFA trainers to develop a plan for classes during the month of May or early June.
Q: Where do I get updates regarding status of 2020?
Please refer to each HAB’s websites, listed below for updates on a bi-monthly basis
Q: What if our crew hasn’t been able to meet and we haven’t collected fees for the final payment?
The HAB’s understand this challenge. Payment schedules are under review.
Q: Will this impact summer staff?
If you have applied for, been hired for or are interested in summer staff please visit the appropriate HAB website on April 15th and 30th.