Summer camp is just weeks away from starting for many councils across the country. For most councils, this will be the first season of operation since 2019. Federal and state guidance continues to evolve and maintaining an ongoing relationship and communication with your local health department continues to be critical. Below are several updates and several links to review as you evaluate your COVID-19 mitigation strategy before camp begins.
A few updates:
The BSA updated its COVID-19 FAQs on April 22nd. These FAQs cover multiple topics, including COVID-19 vaccination – please review and share with your Scouters. The updated BSA COVID-19 FAQs are available for download now.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released updated guidance for day and overnight camps for summer 2021 on April 24th. The updates include guidance on physical distancing, camp activities, considerations for screening testing and contact tracing, developing emergency operations plans, and for overnight camps. Read the full guidance here.
Environmental Health & Engineering, Inc. (EH&E) has provided a new update on cleaning for the ACA Field Guide for Camps regarding adjustments to the CDC’s updated cleaning practices related to SARS-CoV-2. In addition, Chapter 12 (Technology and Controls) has also been updated so the section suggesting program adjustments based on community spread aligns with the most current science available. Both are available for download now.
- BSA COVID-19 Camping Resource: https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/camping-covid-19-resource-center/
- BSA COVID-19 Brand Center Camping Resource (posters and other helpful graphics): https://scouting.webdamdb.com/bp/#/folder/8943727/
- CDC Suggestions for Youth and Summer Camps web page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/summer-camps.html
- ACA COVID-19 Field Guide: https://www.acacamps.org/resource-library/coronavirus/camp-business/field-guide-camps
- ACA COVID-19 Resource Center for Camps:
- ACN COVID-19 Considerations for Camp: https://campnurse.org/education-and-resources/covid-19-considerations-for-camp/