The National Development and Fiscal Management Symposium is conducted annually. The symposium offers participants the convenience of choosing from two different locations. In 2013, participants may attend sessions offered in Chicago, Illinois, April 24–26, or the sessions offered in Grapevine, Texas, May 19–21, prior to the BSA National Annual Meeting.
The symposium is open to all council volunteers and professionals with primary or secondary fundraising or fiscal responsibilities, including operating, capital, and endowment.
Sessions begin at 1 p.m. on the first day and conclude at 5 p.m. on the last day. Participants may choose from the different tracks below:
- AFP Fundamentals of Fundraising—Must take the entire track to earn 16.0 credit-hours in Category 1.B—Education on the CFRE International application for certification or recertification.This course will be required for all BSA local council development professionals in the future.
BSA General Fund Development—Due to low enrollment, this track is cancelled.
- Fiscal Management I (FMI)—Must take the entire track to earn the FMI certificate
- Major Gifts—Must take the entire track to earn the Major Gifts certificate
Fee is $345 for participants for each location. The fee includes all training materials and meals. Participants are responsible for their own transportation to the event and hotel costs.
Steve Chandler—Most of his life, he has studied and taught human performance and relationship building. Steve Chandler is a celebrated author of 30 books, including 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself, RelationShift: Revolutionary Fundraising, 17 Lies That Are Holding You Back & the Truth That Will Set You Free, Reinventing Yourself: How to Become the Person You’ve Always Wanted to Be, 50 Ways to Create Great Relationships, and his newest, Time Warrior. King Features named 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself the number one audio book of the year. With an unusual combination of candor and humor, Chandler is one of the nation’s most sought-after public speakers on the subjects of fundraising, personal motivation, goal achievement, and major gift relationship building.
Steve Chandler will discuss his newest book, Time Warrior, on the subject of time management. Each participant will receive a copy of Time Warrior and a CD, Nonlinear Time Management.
Chicago—April 24–26, 2013
Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel; Northbrook, Illinois
- BSA room rate is $129 plus taxes for single/double occupancy
- Rate applicable from April 23 through April 26
- Cut-off date to make reservation is Tuesday, April 2
- Complimentary ground transportation from and to Chicago O’Hare and within a 5-mile radius
- Complimentary on-site parking
Dallas/Fort Worth—May 19–21, 2013
Gaylord Texan Hotel and Convention Center; Grapevine, Texas
- BSA room rate is $187 plus taxes for single/double occupancy
- Rate applicable from May 18 through May 26
- Click here to make reservation online, or call 877-491-5138 and ask for the Boy Scouts of America rate. Be sure to get a confirmation number!
- Cut-off date to make reservation is Saturday, April 27
- Ground transportation from DFW International Airport
- Yellow Cab
- $25 one way for one person plus $2 for each additional person
- Call 214-426-6262
- Super Shuttle
- $14 per person one way
- Go to www.supershuttle.com or call 800-258-3826
- Gaylord Texan Transportation for up to six people arriving or departing at either DFW International or Love Field airports
- Needs to be schedule prior to your flight
- Schedule your direct, private transportation online or call 817-778-2277
- Self-parking—$12 (for hotel guests) for daily/overnight
- Valet parking—$20 for day and $27 for overnight