Position: Senior Accounting Assistant (State Tax Compliance)
Compensation: Non-Exempt Level position
Department: Accounting, Tax Team
Position location: Irving, TX 75038
This position handles tax compliance, unclaimed property, 1099’s, & reconciliations.
The primary responsibilities are to:
- Collect and update sales tax exemption certificates from customers Taxware & Cert Capture systems.
- Apply for new sales tax licenses for new stores. Renew licenses for existing stores
- Apply and/or renew sales tax exemptions nationwide for the National Service Center.
- Complete bedding license applications and renewals in all required states for bedding that the National Distribution Center manufactures and sells.
- Performs complex duties related to preparing accounting statements and financial reports. Reviews and verifies the accuracy of journal entries and accounting classifications assigned to various records.
- Reconciles sales tax liability accounts, and posts to and balances general or subsidiary ledgers; compiles segments of monthly closings and periodic reports.
- Checks and verifies sales tax and other records. Prepares check requests, files, posts ledger and general journal entries, and balances sales tax records.
- Uses office automated systems to input data, generate reports, conduct special research projects and respond to inquiries.
- Provides training, direction, and workflow coordination to less-experienced clerical accounting staff and reviews the work of others for accuracy.
- Reconciles difficult accounts, prepares tax deposits and reports, and produces special reports.
- Compiles and reconciles data from tax systems to process monthly Sales Tax Returns.
- Accumulate data for 1099’s, maintain electronic files, update spreadsheets, update PeopleSoft.
- High school diploma and some advanced level education required.
- Five years relative experience with three years of experience in tax accounting, 1099’s, and licensing compliance highly desired.
- Experience using PeopleSoft Financials (includes creating and generating queries), Taxware, Avatax and Cert Capture is highly desirable.
- Candidates proficient using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and accurate keying will receive top consideration as these skills are required to be successful in this position.
- Possess great attention to detail and has an ability to operate in a fast-paced department and learn new tasks quickly while multi-tasking many responsibilities.
- Knowledge and experience completing sales tax returns and licensing procedures are preferred.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines is critical.
The National Council, Boy Scouts of America is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to offering a competitive annual salary; the BSA offers benefits to include major medical, prescription coverage, dental, vision, life-insurance, short and long-term disability, accidental death, and a defined benefit retirement plan. We also offer a generous PTO policy and 11 holiday observances.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates must email a resume and cover letter to: Resume.Exempt@Scouting.org. The subject line of the email should state Senior Accounting Assistant. (Internal candidates must also include the word Internal in the subject line.)