Scouting’s reach and presence is everywhere! You might be surprised at just
how far and wide:
- The Silver Buffalo Award for distinguished service to youth has been presented
to Charles Lindbergh, Normal Rockwell, Walt Disney, Bob Hope,Hank Aaron, Vince Lombardi, Charles M. Schultz and Neil Armstrong.
- Of the 294 U.S. astronauts, more than 180 were involved in Scouting, and
40 were Eagle Scouts.
- In 2004, if every registered member of the Boy Scouts of America were
still alive—more than 109 million people—they’d comprise the 11th largest
country in the world.
- Nearly 1.2 million volunteers donate an average of 20 hours per month to
BSA, totaling 280 million hours of time during the year.
- One out of every three of West Point cadets was involved in Boy Scouting
as a youth, and 14 percent are Eagle Scouts.
- Nearly one-third of Air Force Academy cadets were involved in Boy
Scouting, and 14 percent are Eagle Scouts.
- The most often earned merit badges include: First aid, Swimming, Camping,
Cooking, and Citizenship in the Community.
- If the 109,829,417 merit badges earned through the end of 2005 were
lined up end-to-end would make a straight line that would stretch from
Chicago to Los Angeles— over 2,500 miles.