MUSHER CAMP SCHEDULE
• Arrive between 4:00 and 7:00 PM and meet your Interpreter. You can eat in town prior to arrival, or you can eat supper at the base provided you arrive before 7:00 PM
• Complete Check-In: pay any final fees, turn in BSA Health and Medical Records and discuss the specific trip goals of your crew.
• Get situated in your on-base accommodations and complete a Gear Shakedown
• Attend a “First Night Orientation” – an Interpreter led introduction to Winter Camping
• Get outfitted with group gear and supplemental personal gear.
• Cracker Barrel 9:30PM. The Trading Post will be open – remember, our Trading Post carries some of the items you are required to bring (just in case you forgot).
• Wake up early and feed the Dogs breakfast before “Human Breakfast”.
• Breakfast at 7:30 AM in the program center.
• Finish checking out group equipment, personal equipment and food.
• Return to the Dog Yard for dogsledding instruction: this will cover history of dogsledding, types of dog sleds, feeding and care of a dogsledding team, safety rules, dogsledding equipment, harnessing the dogs, training the dogs and running the dogs.
• Musher Camps are involved in giving a similar introduction to dogsledding to non-dogsled crews at OKPIK, so pay attention to the First Orientation Talk!
• Provided your crew is organized, you should be able to fit in a morning and afternoon run with the dogs on Day 2. Between the runs, you will return to the Dog Yard / Musher Camp Yurts to eat lunch.
• Feed the dogs dinner and then cook dinner for yourself before turning in to spend the night in your heated Musher Camp Yurt.
• Take a Morning and Afternoon dogsled run with the dogs. Stop by other OKPIK crews to give them short “Introduction to Dogsledding” presentations accompanied by short circle rides.
• Check in personal and group gear to Northern Tier in the morning.
• Visit the Trading Post
• Eat lunch and enjoy a short Awards Ceremony before heading home.