The following is a list of required paperwork, a selection of optional trip choices, and a wide variety of useful information. Please read very carefully.
Step 1: Financial Planning
Step 2: Park Selection, Permitting, and Border Crossing
Step 3: Canoe Rentals
Standard outfitting at Northern Tier includes aluminum canoes (75 pounds). For an additional fee of $30 per canoe per day, Kevlar canoes (less than 50 pounds) can be rented.
- Lite-Weight Canoe reservations are handled through the online registration system.
You may submit a request online or contact Northern Tier directly. firstname.lastname@example.org or 218.365.4811
Step 4: Preparing for Northern Tier
Step 5: Required Documents:
The following documents must be absolutely complete upon arrival on base:
- Health and Medical Record – Every participant must have an up-to-date "Health and Medical Record." They must meet all health restrictions to be permitted to go on trail.
- Swim Classification Form – Leaders and participants must complete a swim test prior to arrival at a Northern Tier base. Each leader and participant must be rated a "Swimmer" using the BSA swim text.
- Crew Roster – Should be submitted prior to arrival
- Wilderness First-Aid Training – At least one adult advisor must have proof (completion certificate) of BSA approved Wilderness First Aid training. Minimum WFA course length is 16-hours.
- CPR Training – At least one adult advisor must have proof (completion certificate) of CPR Training
- BSA E-certifications – At least one adult advisor must have proof of training (completion certificates) in each of the following BSA e-certifications: Weather Hazards, Safety Afloat, and Safe Swim Defense.All Adult Advisors must have proof of training in Youth Protection.
- Fishing Licenses – If your crew wants to fish you will need to purchase the appropriate license.
Step 6: Trip Planning Resources: