2014 Commissioner Workshop at the Sea Base Conference Center
Click here to print a copy of this article.
The Sea Base Commissioner Workshop was held January
12–17 at the Conference Center in Islamorada, Florida. The
conference was facilitated by Kandra Dickerson, Central Region
Area 5 commissioner, and Kresha Alvarado, Circle 10 Council
assistant council commissioner.
In the quest for more attendees, the conference this year was
changed to provide an update to all aspects of commissioner
service rather than position-specific conference offerings as in
the past. The curriculum change was well accepted as we had
12 registered students compared to four the previous year.
The topics covered in this conference were designed to help
bring best practices and current ideas to the commissioner role.
The final course outline included:
- Four main focus areas for commissioners
- Linking district resources to unit needs
- Finding and using commissioner resources
- The commissioner’s role in retention
- Commissioner support to new units (the newunit commissioner)
- Building better relations with unit leaders through effective communication
- Managing conflict
- The administrative commissioner
- Roundtable organization and the new program planning guides
- The annual service plan
- The Commissioner Tools
- Preventing commissioner burnout
- The Voice of the Scout and what it means to your units
Thanks to Kandra and Kresha for serving as faculty. And
thanks to Kresha, Kandra, and Dave Fornadel for course
development. Creating a workshop that would pertain to all
commissioner roles was quite a challenge.
If you have any questions about commissioner training at Sea
Base, please contact Tim Acree, national commissioner support
staff training chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.