||14 or 13 and in 8th grade
||7-12, including adult leadership
||2+ adult leaders required per crew; can have all-adult crews
Hiking in the Philmont backcountry during the autumn season, crews will enjoy warm, sunny days, and cool, crisp nights. They will get to see the aspen trees changing to gold and witness the wildlife preparing for winter. A trained Philmont guide will accompany your group to areas where you can enjoy the splendor of fall color.
Autumn Adventure treks occur in September and October, and can vary in length to fit the schedule of the group.
Who May Participate?
Autumn Adventure is open to crews of 7 to 12 participants accompanied by an Autumn Adventure guide. Larger groups will be organized into multiple crews (please call for approval). A crew may be assembled from a Boy Scout troop, Venturing crew, Sea Scout ship, Varsity team, Exploring post or an adult group of Unit, District or Council committee members.
Crews must meet the following requirements:
- All participants must be registered members of the BSA.
- All participants must have completed the BSA Annual Health and Medical Record within the previous 12 months and meet physical condition requirements.
- Youth participants must be at least 14 years of age OR 13 years of age and in the eighth grade at the time of participation.
- Each group must have at least two adult (18+) advisors, one of whom must be at least 21 years of age.
- Coed groups must have at least one male and female advisor (both over 21 years of age).
- Each group must have at least one member certified in CPR and First Aid (may be met by two separate people).
What Activities Are Included?
There are several programs offered through Autumn Adventure:
- All-Adult Crews: A great opportunity for team building and planning for your Troop, District or Council. What better way to bring a group together than fly-fishing on the Rayado River or taking in the changing aspens?
- Traditional Crews: A great experience for Scouts who want to bring a youth-led crew to Philmont to experience the outdoors at its best!
- Backpacking: With assistance from your guide, plan your own itinerary to hike and visit areas of the Ranch you've always wanted to see.
- Base Camping: Stay in a campsite at one of our backcountry camps for the duration of your trek, and explore the area on day hikes with less weight in your pack. Base Camp options include Beaubien, Phillips Junction, Fish Camp, Cimarroncito, and Hunting Lodge.
- Fishing: Take advantage of Philmont's sparkling streams for some catch-and-release fishing!
How to Register
Sessions are available from early September to late October. Reservations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations are confirmed upon receipt of a nonrefundable deposit of $50/person and a completed reservation form. The balance of fees is due upon arrival.
Call 575-376-2281 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a reservation form and determine when space is available.
Autumn Adventure Packing List
This packing list will help prepare you and your crew for your Autumn Adventure trek.
The Tooth of Time Traders at Camping Headquarters is open from 8:00am-5:00pm 7 days a week, so crews can purchase last-minute camping gear or souvenirs after returning from the trail.