Fall is one of the best times to camp at Philmont!
Experience hiking in Philmont Scout Ranch's backcountry in beautiful New Mexico fall weather, when the aspen trees change to gold! A trained Philmont guide will accompany your group to areas where you can enjoy the splendor of fall color.
Autumn Adventure crews:
- Enjoy warm, sunny days and cool, crisp nights.
- View the splendor of Philmont fall colors.
- Gaze at wildlife preparing for winter.
- Photograph the panorama of peaks.
- Fish for trout in sparkling streams.
Autumn Adventure treks are scheduled from September through October. Each trek can be scheduled to fit the schedule of the group attending and can vary from a leisurely day hike to an extended backpacking expedition.
Who May Participate
Autumn Adventure is open to crews of seven to 12 participants accompanied by an Autumn Adventure guide. Larger groups are organized into multiple crews. A crew may be assembled from a Boy Scout troop, Venturing crew or an adult group of unit, District or Council committee members. All participants must be registered members of the BSA.
Youth participants must be at least 14 years of age OR in the eighth grade and at least 13 years of age at the time of participation. Youth groups must be accompanied by at least two adult leaders. Coed youth groups must have at least one adult male and one adult female leader.
Every participant is required to have a current medical examination within the previous 12 months and meet requirements for physical condition. Philmont Scout Ranch requires at least one crew member be certified in CPR and first aid.
What Activities Do Treks Include?
There are four programs offered through Autumn Adventure:
- Council/Group Trek Planning - Cover pre-trek planning and training and visit areas of the ranch that you are interested in seeing on your summer trek. This is a great time for adults to see what it takes to bring a crew to Philmont Scout Ranch! You will have a chance to meet with some of the key Philmont leadership as well.
- High Adventure Planning - Learn techniques and tips for planning a High Adventure trip for your unit. You will have a chance to see how Philmont puts together a High Adventure trek so that you can plan one for your home unit.
- All-Adult Crews - A great opportunity for team building and planning for your Troop, District or Council. What better way to bring a group together than fly-fishing on the Rayado River or taking in the hanging aspen?
- Traditional Crews - A great experience for Scouts with extra time in the fall. This experience is for crews of seven to 12 members, with youth giving leadership to the crew. You will have a chanced to experience the outdoors at its best!
How much does it cost?
The cost is $50/day
This list of items will help prepare you and your crew for your Autumn Adventure trek.