||21 days and nights
||15 by day attending but not yet 21
||Provisional Crew will be organized by Philmont
||2 adult leaders provided by Philmont
There are two sessions of Rayado, each of which includes multiple treks for both male crews and female crews. Sessions dates are the same every year.
||June 20 - July 10
||July 18 - August 7
Are you ready to test your limits? On Rayado, you will join Scouts and Venturers from across the country to build the advanced outdoor skills and confidence you need to lead groups in the backcountry. Get ready for three weeks of rugged trails, intense teamwork, and unknown challenges. Led by two Philmont Rangers, participants will hike many miles, summit mountains, and overcome mental barriers by facing and adapting to unexpected conditions. You never know what adventure is waiting over the next mountain.
Who May Participate?
To be able to participate in the Rayado Trek program, participants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Be 15 years of age before participation but not yet 21.
- Be in excellent physical condition and able to hike 10 or more miles with a 40- to 50-pound backpack. (Philmont height and weight guidelines will be strictly enforced.)
- Have mastered the skills of Leave No Trace camping and backpacking. (Previous Philmont experience is not mandatory but is strongly recommended.)
What Activities Does the Program Include?
Rayado is designed to challenge participants’ physical and mental abilities. The program is known for developing outdoor leadership, problem solving, and advanced outdoor skills, including:
- Wilderness backpacking skills
- Navigation techniques
- Communication and group dynamics
- Advanced backcountry cooking skills
- Wilderness stewardship (including Leave No Trace skills and ethics)
- Backcountry first aid and emergency procedures
Rayado participants will explore many areas of the Ranch and enjoy activities unique to the program. To maintain the elements of surprise and discovery, specific details about trek activities are not disclosed in advance.
How Do I Apply?
Each participant must complete a Rayado Application Form (approved by a parent or guardian, a unit leader, and the local council Scout Executive) and provide one letter of recommendation from an adult Scouter that attests to the participant's backcountry experience and character.
There are shuttle services available to Philmont Scout Ranch from Denver/Colorado Springs and Albuquerque airports.