We're sorry but all 2015 spaces have been filled.
||16 days and nights
||16 by date attending and not yet 21
||7-12, including adult leadership
||2 adult leaders provided by Philmont
Ranch Hands is a program for Scouts and Venturers who have knowledge of horsemanship and horse care and want to expand their skills and experience. The Ranch Hand crew will work with the horse department staff, taking care of Philmont's 300 horses and 80 burros, hauling hay, saddling, and performing other horse program tasks.
Who May Participate?
To be able to participate in the Ranch Hands program, participants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Be at least 16 years old by the date the program begins and not yet 21 by the time it ends.
- Be physically fit, able to lift and handle materials up to 65 pounds.
- As with all Philmont horse programs, participants must not weigh more than 200 pounds.
- Be able to work and live under the leadership of one of Philmont's horsemen at one of the horse camps or at headquarters.
- Complete a physical examination.
Previous Philmont experience is not mandatory, but it is strongly recommended.
In order for Philmont to comply with New Mexico work law, no exceptions can be made to these requirements.
What Activities Does the Program Include?
After and eight-day work session, the Ranch Hands crew embarks on an eight-day Cavalcade under the leadership of a horseman and wrangler. Participants ride trails through some of the most beautiful country in the United States. Each night is spent in a different Philmont camp, where the program may include rock climbing, archaeology, mountain man rendezvous, or homesteading. The final afternoon of the Cavalcade features a horseback gymkhana in the arena at Ponil Camp.
How Do I Apply?
Each participant must complete an application form (approved by a parent or guardian, a unit leader, and the local council Scout executive) and provide one letter of recommendation.
Here participants may find registration information for shuttle services to Philmont Scout Ranch from Denver, Colorado Springs and Albuquerque airports.